Ray Manzarek Doors - Myth And Reality (2CDs)
|You Save:||$15 (75% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: December 6, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Fuel 2000 Records , Inc.
Rolling Stone - 11/14/96, p.1143.5 Stars (out of 5) - "...In a booming baritone, he adds his own theatrical relish to the Jim Morrison mythology....The real pearls...relate more to...his hip childhood on Chicago's South Side, where he got an early introduction to the blues..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Paris: The Mystery/The Last Recording/The Last Telephone Call/A Sealed
- 2. UCLA Film School: Ray's Films/Jim's Films/Joseph Von Sternberg: ...
- 3.Jim & Ray Form the Doors: Venice Beach/The Songs - The Name/Psyche ...
- 4.Born In Chicago: South Side Boy/Mom & Dad's Blues ...
- 5.I Heard The Blues In The Air
- 6.Growing Up Rocking: Maxwell Street/Blues Radio/Rock 'N' Roll TV - ...
- 7.You're in the Army Now: New York City - Coltrane/Thailand & Thai Stick
- 8.Soul Of The Doors: We Were Going To Be Artists/Jim's Apartment/Student
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Beat Poetry Readings: San Francisco & Berkeley
- 2.Out Of The Army: Rick & The Ravens/The Turkey Joint West/Sonny & Cher
- 3.Rick & The Ravens @ Aura: World Pacific/Dick Bock & LSD/Maharishi ...
- 4.The Doors Acetate Demo: Thrown Out of Liberty Records/No One @ Capitol ...
- 5.Enter Robby Krieger: Columbia Records & Billy James/The Vox Organ
- 6.Making The Magic Circle: Fights In The Band/No Ego Games
- 7.Where's The Bass Player?: Owsley, LSD & The Holes
- 8.The Doors Are Dropped By Columbia
- 9.In The Recording Studio: Paul A. Rothchild: Producer/Bruce ...
- 10.The Chief Of Police In The Studio
- 11.Dorothy Fujikawa - Artist: The Whiskey Bar - Dorothy's Record/Our ...
- 12.Jim Morrison's Leather Pants: What's The Band Going To Wear?
- 13.The Doors On The Road: Do You Have A Spotlight?/We'll Work The Magic/Balls
- 14.Why The Music's Still Popular
- 15.Jim's Still Around
- 16.The Doors In History: Jimi, Janis, Dylan/Paris In The 20s
- 17.All Men Are Created Equal
- 18.Ucla Basketball
This 2-disc set is an autobiographical, spoken-word set in which Manzarek talks about his life and his career with the Doors. Manzarek also plays keyboards throughout.
Personnel includes: Ray Manzarek (spoken vocals, keyboards).
Recorded at Theta Sound Studio, Burbank, California. Includes liner notes by Kirk Silsbee.
A brilliant idea that could have gone on to be a benchmark in terms of spoken word histories, this pilot release from the ill-fated Monster Sounds label showcases Doors keyboardist and musical architect Ray Manzarek laying out the band's story with great recall and an entertaining flow. Interviewed and produced by West Coast music journalist/historian Harvey Kubernik, this double CD allows Manzarek a great opportunity to lay out the Doors' story with fabulous detail, and includes some very interesting and little-told stories, particularly about the formation of the band as well as the relationship between Manzarek and Jim Morrison. It's a shame that this format wasn't taken to an even higher level, for despite Kubernik's excellent interview and Manzarek's skill as a speaker, the series was, sadly, short-lived. The CD also contains an excellent new instrumental by Manzarek titled "All Men Are Created Equal." ~ Matthew Greenwald
No One Here Gets Out Alive: Doors' Tribute To Jim Morrison (DVD)
$9.99 Super Savings
Obscene: A Portrait Of Barney Rosset And Grove Press (DVD)
$23.46 Super Savings
Little Steven's Underground Garage Presents: The Coolest... (CD) TOP 100 Bestseller
$4.98 on SALE
All Saints: Collected Instrumentals 1977-2000 (CD) NEW
$4.98 on SALE