Good Morning, Vietnam
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$5.21 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.04 (17% Off)|
- Production Diary
- "Raw" Monologues
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Teaser Trailer
- Languages: English, French
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 1 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 17, 2006
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Touchstone / Disney
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Forest Whitaker, Tung Thanh Tran, Robert Wuhl, Bruno Kirby, Noble Willingham, J.T. Walsh, Chintara Sukapatana, Richard Portnow, Floyd Vivino & Cu Ba Nguyen|
|Directed by||Barry Levinson|
|Screenwriting by||Mitch Markowitz|
|Composition by||Alex North|
|Produced by||Mark Johnson & Larry Brezner|
|Director of Photography:||Peter Sova|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"...Williams is an extraordinary performer..."
"...Exceptionally strong....Williams's performance, though it's full of uproarious comedy, is the work of an accomplished actor. GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM is one man's tour de force..."
"...GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM is pure Robin Williams vehicle and gives the performer his best chance yet to display his manic talent on screen. It's an impressive act..."
"...Williams at the mike is like a man possessed, purified, liberated. Startling chains of ideas and wild leaps of imagery pour out of him..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
When the U.S. Army engages irreverent, nonconformist radio deejay Adrian Cronauer, it unleashed a secret, if unpredictable, weapon: laughter. Academy Award winner Robin Williams (Best Supporting Actor, Good Will Hunting, 1997) shakes up 1965 Saigon in the role that garnered him his very first Oscar nomination.
Imported by the military to host an early a.m. radio show, Cronauer (Williams) blasts the formerly serene, sanitized airwaves with a constant barrage of rapid-fire humor and the hottest hits from back home.
The G.I.s love him, the top brass is up in arms. Riddled with sidesplitting comic salvos, bittersweet bombshells and hot '60s rock 'n' roll, this landmark film chronicles one man's raucous Saigon adventures amidst a world gone mad. Featuring all-new bonus material that includes hilarious outtakes from Robin Williams' "raw" monologues, this Special Edition of Good Morning Vietnam scores a direct hit every time you watch!
In GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM, which is based on a true story, Cronauer (Robin Williams) is a nonconformist with a wicked sense of humor who is transferred from Crete to Saigon. Outrageous and over the top, Cronauer speaks in accents, creates characters, pokes fun at everyone--including the President--and spins banned rock and roll tunes. While his antics amuse the masses, they also put him in hot water with his superior officers, particularly Lt. Steven Hauk (Bruno Kirby), who would prefer that the radio show be censored, sanitized, and completely noncontroversial. Cronauer takes his show outside the radio station when he starts to teach Vietnamese locals English in an effort to meet pretty, demure Trinh (Chintara Sukapatana). He befriends Trinh's brother, Tuan (Tung Thanh Tran), who becomes an unlikely comrade in uncertain times. Directed by Barry Levinson (DINER, AVALON), the film features a tour-de-force performance from Williams, who improvised much of the comedy used in the radio shows, earning an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor.
Description by Buena Vista Home Entertainment:
- Theatrical release: December 23, 1987.
- Filmed in Thailand.
- GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM is number 100 on the American Film Institute's list of America's 100 Funniest Movies.
- In real life, Adrian Cronauer became a popular Detroit deejay.
- The scenes in which Adrian Cronauer (Williams) wears military fatigues while doing his show from the radio station were shot specifically for the trailer, to give the film more of a wartime feeling in its publicity campaign.
- The Louis Armstrong song "What a Wonderful World," used to emotional effect in GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM, was not actually recorded until 1967, and the film is set in 1965.
- Sales Rank: 3,356
- UPC: 786936239928
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item